Chicken Biryani is made by using basmati rice which is flavored with some dry herbs and chicken. Today I am sharing a very easy recipe with you all. It is quick and very simple. Follow all the steps and you will get exactly restaurant style briyani at home Or even better then that. I tried and clicked few pics for better understanding. This recipe will serve 4.
2 medium size onion sliced.
1 tea spoon Ghee (clarified Butter)
300 grams Chicken pieces with bones
1/2 cup curd
1 table spoon of Ginger, garlic and green chilly paste.
1 tea spoon of coriander powder
1/2 tea spoon of red chilly powder
1/2 tea spoon of garam masala powder
1/2 tea spoon of chicken masala powder
1 table spoon melted ghee
salt to taste.
For the rice:
1-1/2 cup rice (long Basmati rice)
6 cups water
2 big cardamom (black)
1 small cardamom (green)
2 bay leaves
1 inch cinnamon stick
4 black pepper
1 tea spoon cumin seeds (sahi jeera)
1 star anise (phool chakri)
salt to taste
1/2 cup chopped coriander and mint leaves.
1/2 cup saffron milk.
2 table spoon melted ghee.
A little bread dough. ( 1 roti ka aata)
- In a pan add 1 tea spoon of ghee and add sliced onion, Fry it till it turns Golden brown and keep aside.
- Take 1/2 cup hot milk and add saffron and pinch of turmeric powder and keep aside.
- Marinate the chicken in a heavy bottom pan by mixing all the ingredient listed under marination and add 1 table spoon of brown onion and keep aside. *** we have to cook the Chicken Biryani in the same pan***
- Wash the rice and soak it for 20 min.
- Take a deep wide pan (kadhai) add 6 cups of water, along with all the dry masala and salt as per your taste. Once the water starts to boil add soaked rice and cook till its 70% cooked it will take 5 to 7 minutes on high flame.
- Now we have to make layer of rice over the marinated chicken. So take half the rice from the kadhai using a holed spatula and place it over the marinated chicken.** let little water come along with the rice, not more then 3 to 4 table spoon of water**
- Now spread half of brown onion and chopped coriander & mint leaves.
- On top of it add the remaining half of the rice and then spread the remaining brown onion and chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Drizzle 2 table spoon of melted ghee over it and add the saffron milk on half of the rice.
- Use the bread dough to seal the edges of the pot and close the lid.
- Cook it in high flame for 5 minutes, then reduce the flame to medium heat for 10 minutes and after that let it cook for more 10 minutes on low flame.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before you open the lid.
Serve it hot with some Raita or Chicken gravy.
Make sure you cook the rice 70% only with salt and all the flavors. Over cooked rice will make the biryani soggy.
I am using gas stove for cooking this recipe.
Thanks for reading. Hope you like it.